Friday, April 19, 2013

Mary Mary, quite contrary. How does your garden grow?


Guess what mah man helped me with this past weekend.  If you've been keeping up with my posts, I already spilled the beans that I'd have a garden post coming soon.  And, if that wasn't enough to tip you off then maybe the title of this post did.  In any case, it's hard to resist a man with big tools (and tall boots with tall socks *smile).  Anyways, enough chat about my sexy hubby (keep your hands off ladies, he's all mine). 

We staked off a mostly unused and hidden area of our yard and thanks to a little spray paint, I was finally able to visualize what I wanted.  I started out thinking I wanted 2 4x4 beds.  I guess I'm visual, or bad at spacial awareness, so I needed to see it drawn out.  After he marked that out for me I knew immediately I wanted more.  So, we settled on 2 - 4 feet by 20 foot beds.  I have no idea if that will mean I'll have enough veggies to feed an army, or just little old me (because we all know Ry isn't going to eat anything that I grow in the yard - unless it's meat or carbs, it's a hard sell for him). 

Then, we were ready to till it up baby!!  We borrowed this guy from Jamie and Zach, or really from Mr. Ware, but it worked wonders.  After slowly walking behind it to get it from the truck to the garden spot Ry was surprised how fast it went when you let it dig into the ground.  I wish I had a video of that....boy was he surprised!!  Sadly, you'll have to use your imagination and just watch this one.


If you know me at all, you know that I'm mean, and watching him struggle with this made me laugh hysterically.  Actually, it was even funnier when we were finished and he ran across the yard behind it to get it into the shed.

Long story short - I've got a garden in the works.  I've never really grown anything before.  I started to planters full of herbs last year at the town house, but between living in the city for 8 years (no garden space there) and then in the townhouse for 3 years (we didn't technically own the grass/yard) I finally have a space to call my own and a big enough yard to make room for a garden and I'm taking full advantage.  I can't wait to show you all the progress of my newest project.  You know I love a good project!  I'm going to run out of time though one of these days.  Good thing the daylight hours are longer in the summer.  I've got my time.  That math works, right?  HA!

I'm planning on planting loads of yummy things.  I've got raspberry plants already in the ground, they take a few years to fruit, and asparagus plants on their way to my house.  They also take a few years to start producing.  But, for this garden space I've got a huge pile of seeds just waiting for the ground to dry out a bit.  I've got onions, green peppers, tomatoes, beans, zucchini, carrots, potatoes, beets, watermelon (!), and a ton of other ones that I can't remember at the moment. 

Look forward to gardening posts alongside my other favorite hobbies - Abby, knitting, photography, reading, and just plain life!!

That reminds me!  (Man, I'm rambley today).  Do you guys have interest in reading blogs on the books I'm reading.  Can't decide if that's a "blog worthy" topic or not.  Thoughts??

1 comment:

  1. How fun! I can't wait till I can have a garden!

    I love hearing what others are reading... I've gotten quite a few awesome recommendations from a friend who reviews books on her blog. :)

    ReplyDelete