Thursday, April 7, 2011

Another knitting blog post...beware!


That's right folks...THE FIDDLE HEAD MITTENS ARE FINALLY DONE!!!  Don't they look great?  I'm so happy with them.  There are a few things I plan to tweak with the next pair (yep, there's gonna be a next pair), but I'm so glad that I took a risk and tried this pattern out.

Here's some specifics (so feel free to skip this part if you don't care, but keep scrolling because there is more).  Yarn:  Cascade 220, 6 skeins
Colorways (top to bottom):  Summer Sky, Azure, Unknown (I lost one of the bands...dang!), Plum, Misty Lilac and the Fiddleheads are Chocolate.  Lined with Plum.
Needles: Size 4 DPN's

I think I got the gauge right on this one, but will make the insides slightly smaller next time, maybe pick up a few less stitches from the I-cord and definitely make them shorter since they have to fit inside the outer layer.

Anyways, the took me a little longer than I wanted, and it's going to be 80 degrees on Sunday so I probably won't need these babies for a few months, but they will be there, ready for me in the closet when the weather starts to turn cold again. 

It was a good idea to use the same yarn on the inside, but it sure was a close call:
Check out just how little I had left when I finished up the insides!


One more gratuitous shot for you (just because Staley was so stinking jealous the pics weren't about her :O)
Finally, here's a little sneak peak of where that Daily Sweater I frogged should have started:

Doesn't look like much does it?  But it is....it's the difference between a really large sweater and one that fits just perfect.  It's called swatching and I've learned my lesson pretty early on.  Always swatch...always.  Simple.  It took me about 30 minutes to do it and it will save me hours (and hour and hours).  It's a simple concept.  Knit a small sample to make sure that your specific knitting, your yarn, and your needles make what the pattern calls for.  Makes total sense right?  Why wouldn't one always start with this?  I chalk it up to inexperience and excitement.  In any case, that the beginning of the perfect Daily Sweater fit for me...and only me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment