Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Christmas Cookies


When I was in high school I got on a kick one year where I wanted to make fancy frosted sugar cookies.  I'm not sure exactly what possessed me, or why I decided to do it, but one year I spent hours making sugar cookies - decorating them with a piping bag and a frosting tip - making little tiny stars of frosting to cover the entire cookie.   It took SO much time, but everyone loved them so much, I sort of fell into making them for quite a few years.  Sometimes I enjoyed the process, sometimes I didn't, but I always loved the compliments from friends and family. 


Then, during college I started working for Walgreens in the stores, and my holidays quickly became the busiest work season for me, working long long hours, stuck in the store on all the holidays.  I no longer had time for fancy cookies, or really even to shop for Christmas.  I started doing my shopping in June when it wasn't so stressful and the holidays quickly became one of my least favorite times of the year.  It took me a LONG time to begin to enjoy the holidays again after leaving Walgreens but I'm here to say that I've lost my inner Grinch and I'm back to loving this time of year (including making cookies)!


Ellyn was known for her elaborate Christmas cookie trays and I imagine that while part of her loved it each year, the tradition of it, the compliments, part of her also sort of dreaded the job.  Maybe not!  Maybe I'm just inferring that from my own experience - but, I feel like you can't make millions of billions of cookies and not feel a little stressed about the whole thing at some point.


When Ellyn passed away in 2018, I offered to help Erin carry on the tradition and it really is a fun thing for us to do to get into the spirit of the season.  This year we tried something a little different and Erin spent the week here.  We'd both work remotely during the day, and then spend our evening chugging through recipe after recipe of cookies. 


We made a huge batch this year - 6 different recipes, many of them double or triple batches to make sure we've got enough.  We baked and baked and baked and then frosted until we were tired of it.  But, the cookie boxes and trays we make and gift throughout the season really are worth all the effort.


We gift boxes to friends and family, to teachers and service providers that help make our lives easier.  We bring trays to each and every holiday party we attend...and, don't give me too much credit, we eat PLENTY of these ourselves - LOL!.  My favorite are the peanut butter blossoms and I made SURE to make a triple batch this year. 


So, today, on December 15th, I'm happy to report that we still have plenty left to get us through the holiday season!  I just gifted the last of the Russian Tea Cakes (sorry Dan).  But, if you're seeing us in the next few weeks, and hoping there are cookies left, just know that you're in luck!



Oh!  I almost forgot!  We found a new cocktail that we love :)  It's called a Pisco Sour and it's made using egg whites and lemon, both things we need in our cookie recipes.  So, I think this might become the official drink of the cookie palooza each year.  It's real good guys!  Real, real good!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment