Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Cousin's Camping 2016


Well, we've officially logged another cousin's camping trip into the books.  I am going to have to go back and try to figure out how many we've done now.  I'm thinking this was the fourth?  Anyways, we did a repeat trip to Turkey Run, this time with a few less people (13 vs the 19 we had last year), slightly better weather (though it still rained) and much more hiking.


Yep, now we're both sherpa-ing children around on our backs in an attempt to still do all the hiking we used to but with the little people in tow.  It wasn't bad on our first hike, roughly 4 miles with a ton of climbing, but by the second hike, just a few hours later, I was getting tired.  I hiked about 1.5 additional miles with Hazel but didn't think twice when sweet Greggy offered to take her for the last .5 mile or so.  Not bad, but I'm hoping Abby is ready to start using her own two legs pretty soon so I can trade out Hazel to Ryan.  HA!


I swore this year I was going to get a group picture of us all, but somehow I managed to mess it up again.  I forgot my camera and I think Chris has one with almost all of us in it, but I officially failed yet again this year.  Maybe next year?


If you enjoy hiking you really should try to visit Turkey Run at some point. I was very impressed at the topography and the hikes really are beautiful.  There is one hike called the Ladders, that is listed as extremely rugged.  You can see from the picture above the ladders that are used along the trail.  There are three of them, and the trail ultimately leads you to this very cool gully seen below.  It's easy to see how quickly this area could flash flood though with just a little it of rain.


These Murphy cousins are one awesome group of people.  We always make great memories whenever we're with them and I can't wait to start planning our next big adventure together.  Here's to many more camping trips filled with late nights, too many beers and some amazing fireside (and grill side) meals!  




All you cousins really need to get on the kid train.  Tanner is two now and she and Abby play so well together.  I can't wait until Hazel gets to this age when she's a little less dangerous, has a few more words, and can play on her own or with the older kids for awhile.  I hate wishing away the days, but it will be SO nice to not have a "baby" camping.  


No comments:

Post a Comment