Monday, February 25, 2013

Bathrooms....Buffets....and Babies

Ok, that's a total lie.  There are no babies in this post.  Not 1!!  I've been posting a  lot of Abby around here these days but that doesn't mean that Ryan and I haven't been hard at work getting projects done around the house.

First off, Master Bath update:

Let's start from the beginning, shall we??  Here are some pictures I took before we moved in.  You'll see that the sink is awkwardly placed IN the bedroom, with a pocket door into the shower/toilet area.  Ry and I originally thought they had done a remodel at some point and decided there would be more room if they moved the sink out but we found the original house plans at they actually BUILT the house this way.  Which explains why the window to the right is stupidly placed about 3 inches too far over (you'll see in 1 second).


See how the shower had a half wall?  Yep...that's gone!  See how the shower head is on the wall?  Yep, that's going on the ceiling.  The subway tile was in pretty good shape (or so we thought) so we'd planned on just removing the half wall, fixing the floor of the shower and bathroom, and moving the sink into the master.  But, demo gives you a real idea of what's going on, and we found mold.  Mold = full bathroom remodel.  So...here's what it's looking like today.

Ryan's framed up the new wall (almost continuous from the closet wall, but the dang window is in the way so it's set back a few inches.  The bathroom looks huge now, and I'm happy to say that the bedroom doesn't seem too small.  I was concerned that it would shrink up when we framed up the wall, and I suppose the true test will be when it's all dry walled in.  But for now I'm very happy with how it's coming along!

Ryan made for some fun photo shoots tonight.  Enjoy these gems!


Since this project has ballooned out into being much bigger than replacing some floor tile, we've decided to go all out.  We are adding a rain shower head, radiant floors (can't wait for those!), some really cool accent tile, canned lighting and a glass shower wall.  I can't wait to show you pictures of the finished product.  But, in the mean time, I think there might be a few more "progress" posts before we get to the FINISHED one.

Next, the buffet table:

I've been looking for a buffet table for our dining room for a few months now.  I wanted a nice piece of furniture (ie: not from Target or Ikea that has a million pieces you have to put together with an allen wrench) but I didn't want to spend a million dollars on it.  So, I've been on the lookout for a nice garage sale/craigslist/thrift store find.  I read tons of blogs where they find a great piece of furniture for less than $50 and the magically make it beautiful.  I can NEVER find anything that cheap!  But, all that looking finally paid off.  I looked for probably 3 months and I finally hit the jackpot.


Ugs McGee right??  It just needs some love.  Structurally it's good.  It's got dove tailed drawers and solid wood faces.  It just needs to be sanded down and re-stained.  Guess how much it was.  Guess!!  $40. 
 And...it was on sale for 30% off so I got it for just over 30 bucks!

Ry took some super sexy pictures of me working on it this weekend.  I suppose it's paybacks for the booger picking/wierdo pictures I took of him. 

*Yes, we have a super classy "Surrender the Booty" flag


I'm practicing Abby's no-neck photo taking in my ultra sexy, slimming paint clothes. 

So, that's where we are at with one major project and one slightly smaller project.  This week we hope to make some more headway and maybe I'll have some updates for you next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment