Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Staley doggie update

First off, thanks for all the kind words and thoughts from you all since my last post.  I just talked to my mom and she and Staley just got back from the vet.

Right now, they still don't really know what's going on with her.  Stool samples have confirmed that it's not worms, which we sort of figured since she is on Heart worm meds and it should take care of all types of worms.  To start with the vet wants us to change her food to a higher fiber food (Science Diet Lamb and Rice if you wondered) and he has my mom adding fiber flakes to her food to see if we can "firm" things up a bit...pardon the grossness of that!  In addition, Staley is getting Colon Health (just the regular stuff you buy over the counter) to try and give her some good bacteria and probiotics.  The vet said she is looking really really skinny, which I knew.  Since I see her every day, if I'm noticing she is skinny, she really must have lost a lot of weight. 

So...fingers crossed, a change in diet is all she will need.   He didn't talk about the stomach cancer which is hopeful, but he did talk to my mom about Maldigestion Syndrome which after about 5 minutes of Internet research I can tell you is not good.  Basically, it's an insufficiency in the pancreas that doesn't allow her to absorb nutrients.  It can be treated with medicine, but it is a lifelong issue and will be expensive.  Ryan and I would have some hard decisions to make if this was the case, so we are keeping our fingers crossed and hoping a change in her diet and some added fiber will go along way to getting our littlest dog back on the road to recovery.

Finally, I just want to thank my Mom and Dad for helping us through this.  It isn't the first time they've come through for my dogs and I'm sure it won't be the last.  I know that Staley is in good hands and although I miss her, I'm sure she is having the time of her life with Ruby to play with and my mom home from school for the summer.  Get well my sweet dog...get well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment