Friday, March 25, 2011

Cluttered or Decorated? You be the judge...

Here is a sneak peak at my most recent project for the house.  It felt like such a waste to have all those beautiful wedding pictures tucked away, unprinted and unseen on our computer.  So, here is my solution:

It looks crazy right?  It's just the beginning though.  We are making a frame collage, but, before we break out the hammer and nails, I've traced the frames onto newspaper adds and hung them on the wall with painters tape.  This way, I can hang them, think about it for a day or two, re-arrange them, look at it for a day, re-re-arrange, rinse, wash, repeat.  Actually, its a great idea, and I wish I could brag that I had come up with it myself!  I stole the idea from a DIY blog I've been reading lately.  But, basically, it keeps Ryan happy as we aren't putting a million holes in the wall, and it keep me happy, because I can change my mind a million times before I settle on the perfect setup.

Here are a few more pictures to give you an idea of what we've got going on over here.


Step 1:  Buy/collect/round up a ton of frames.  I hate inconsistency, so we are going with all black frames.
Step 2:  Trace the frames on newspaper or sale adds


Step 3:  Start hanging and re-arranging


Ryan being artsy with is picture taking.  He literally laid down on the ground, pushed Staley's face out of the camera and snapped this one before she tried to sniff him again. 
 Here is what we currently have on the wall.  It's not done yet.  I've inevitably got to change it like 13 more times, and we still need some more frames for the top right hand section.  Then, I need to find a few filler pieces (things that aren't frames but hang on the wall and look good with the overall feel of the collage.


Actually, looking at this picture, it's already outdated.  I've already changed a few things around.  Guess you'll just have to come back to see the finished project!
 My plan is that this will be a living piece of art.  That we will swap out pictures, that we will add and change the art, and that it isn't made up totally of pictures.  I've got a few ideas up my sleeve of special things I want to incorporate, but I'm going to hold off on sharing until I've got it all complete.  This will be an ever changing, ever evolving statement of our lives and I can't wait to share it with you all when you come to visit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment