Thursday, July 1, 2021

Abby's first big sleep away vacation

 


Abby did something big this summer!  Her first big sleep away, far away from all of us, with another family, in another state for five whole nights.  During the summer of 2020, just after the end of second grade her little friend Mati and her family moved away to a suburb of St. Louis.  We (both Abby and I) were so bummed when they moved because I really like Mati's family.  I felt like they were a good influence for her, they'd introduced us to the Methodist church here in downtown Marengo, and I really enjoyed chatting with Alison, Mati's mom.  


I didn't actually believe they'd keep a friendship alive during the year, but, as much as I've grumped about introducing all this technology to kids, it has been helpful in allowing them to stay in touch and remain friends even over the long distance.  I wouldn't say they talked (via video) most weeks, but for sure they'd connect a few times a month.  At one point they even started a little Art Club where they'd sit and draw/create together on a video call.  


So, earlier this summer Alison reached out to see if Abby would be interested in spending a week with them in Missouri and if I'm honest, I wasn't totally sure how Abby would do with it.  She seemed excited, but also nervous (understandably so)!  Alison had a jam pack week planned for them including a trip to Six Flags (Abby's first), a science museum, and the zoo.  They had a camp out planned, and more Legos than I've ever seen in my life (including a cool amusement park that I sort of want to find for the kids).


I'm thinking I might have Abby come back through here when we get home from Yellowstone to write a few paragraphs about her time there so we've got the stories from her perspective.  Sheesh...I can't believe that's where we are!  I've been writing this blog solo for 11 years and I just realized that very soon I might be including another little voice to help tell our families stories.  EKKK!  This is going to be fun.











Oh, one last little story from me before I hit post on this one.  I sent Abby with some money that she could use to spend on things when they were out and about.  Snacks, a souvenir or two, things she'd love...she called me one evening and asked me if she could use some of her money to buy something for Hazel (heart eyes!).  Such a sweet girl.  The next day I got the above picture from Alison saying that Abby wanted to know which one I though Hazel would like best.  I picked the little brown bear knowing that it would be one of the animals we could see on our upcoming trip to Yellowstone and Abby gave it to Hazel earlier this week as her birthday present.  I miss those baby/toddler years for sure, but honestly, this age is fun too!  They are becoming their own little humans with their own little interesting lives growing right before me.  Man!  Who knew this post would end up being so sappy!?  I guess that's what happens when you realize your little peanut is less of a peanut and more of a big kid after all.  


No comments:

Post a Comment