Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Poinsettia Quilt


This past winter I decided it was time for me to make us a Christmas quilt!  Of course, the inspiration of this wonky triangle quilt had something to do with it.  Even though I knew it wouldn't be ready for us to use this past Christmas, it was really fun working in holiday colors over the holidays.  For some reason, I end up getting the majority of my quilting projects done in the winter months.  And this year was no exception!  I already have two (almost three!) finishes under my belt for 2020.  But, I shouldn't brag too much, things will come to a screeching halt here soon I'm sure!


This quilt was designed by Suzy Quilts and the fabric was a curated pack that she put together as well.  I'm not great at coming up with the ideas myself - I don't have the vision, but I can follow directions and I love a good modern quilt!


This quilt measures 56x65 and should be the perfect size for displaying on the couch and cuddling up with over the cold winter months.  I had it quilted in a pattern called Feliz Navidad and we used gold thread.


Isn't it just awesome?!  I'm also pretty happy with how well my quilting came out on this one.  The points of my triangles lined up really well and overall the quilt turned out great.  These wonky blocks though!  They were NOT easy.  The fun thing about them is that they are all different sizes and angles.  You'd think that that "randomness" would make it easier, but I wasted a LOT of fabric making this quilt.  So much so that I had to order extra to finish it!  The wonky triangles were hard to estimate and if you didn't line things up just right, you'd end up not having enough fabric to make your full block.


As pretty as the blocks are, the backing is the real show stopper in my opinion!  The sun was a little too bright this past weekend (what a problem, I know!).  but you can see the gold backing in the next two photos.  I"m not sure how well it'll hold up over time, but gosh, it's pretty!  And so luxurious too!


Anyways, this quilt is now hanging on my quilt rack just waiting til next Christmas.  Though, I'm sure it'll be used for many a fort before then!



No comments:

Post a Comment