Thursday, October 31, 2019

Annual Beer Tasting and "Practice Halloween"


My oh my, the times have changed.  It wasn't all that long ago that Annual Beer Tasting involved pictures of actually tasting beer....but, over the last 3 years we've had fewer and fewer of those and more of these adorable girls Trick or Treating!  And, you know what, I'm not mad about it!  These girls are way cuter than we adults are anyways.


Beer tasting was a success yet again.  This year we had a smaller crowd, but I'm so happy that Justin and Karen stuck around and didn't ditch us for hunting!  It was so fun to catch up with them and have them around to joke with.  This year Justin actually took home first prize with a growler of I can't remember what...and Ryan got second with his entry of Fantasy Factory from Karben4 brewing out of Madison.   He was lucky because he didn't decide on his entry until 2 nights before, and of course a trip to Binny's later I found out that they don't distribute outside of Wisconsin....good thing my Dad randomly had 6 in his fridge from a few weekends ago!


One of my favorite parts of beer tasting is that Jamie and I run the show meaning we do all the pouring and setting up the bracket/assigning numbers etc.  That means I know which beers are playing each round and who entered them. To everyone else it's a completely blind taste test.  But, being in the know is awesome because I get to listen to everyone's comments and know more than they do. 


My two favorite moments of the tasting were:
1. When Bill tasted his own beer, made a horrible face and said "whoever entered this one isn't allowed to play next year"
2.  When my Dad inadvertently entered skunky Bell's Two Hearted (recently touted to be the best craft beer in America).  No wonder everyone made a bad face at that tasting too!

And, of course the kids just loved getting together and spending time with their friends.  The "practice Trick or Treating" didn't hurt either!  The little campground near the Ware's house does and early trick or treating and the last few years we've planed beer tasting around it so that the kids have something fun to look forward to too.  Believe it or not, beer tasting isn't that exciting for them - but...they really are good sports about it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment