Monday, December 5, 2011

Big (and smaller) Doe Down!

This past weekend we spent the weekend in Freeport while the boys hunted.  It was second season shot gun and both the boys were successful!!




Ryan, Chris and I all took Friday off and made our way out to Freeport Thursday night.  That gave them plenty of time to bag some deer and it paid off.

On Friday morning Chris and Dad sat together and Ryan sat alone.  Ry saw a few deer but didn't take any shots and Chris and Dad didn't see any.  It might have had something to do with the fact that they did quite a bit of whispering as my Dad was getting Chris ready and knowledgeable about the process. 

All that instruction paid off big time when Chris shot his doe before 4pm on Friday afternoon.  The boys left the house around 2 pm so when I received a text with a picture of Chris and his dear before 4pm I knew things must have moved pretty quickly.  Chris's deer isn't a huge doe, but it sure is tasty that way.  Think about how good veil is.  That's because the meat is super tender.  Chris's deer is much like that (trust me...I've been eating deer for 3 days now).



After getting Chris's text I checked in with Ryan to see if he had seen anything he.  He said he hadn't so I certainly didn't expect to see two deer in the back of the pickup truck when the boys got home.  I don't have a picture of Ryan with his deer, but I do have this shot of the back of the truck.


Ry's deer is laying closer to the end of the tail gate.  You can clearly see that his is larger than Chris's but they were both great kills.  Dad estimates that Ry's deer is maybe 3 years old, and Chris's was most likely a spring fawn. 

The boys took the deer and had them checked in and then headed home.  We didn't eat venison on Friday night since it would still need to be butchered and cleaned, but Saturday night we had a huge feast!  Then on Sunday night, Chris and Brenna came to our house and we ground, mixed and packaged the meat, along with making another venison feast.  Tonight I made tacos with it, so simply put, we've been feasting on those deer for a few days now.  I think I'm going to have to come up with something else for tomorrow night :O)

WARNING!!  I've put together a little video of the pictures and movie the boys took this past weekend.  For the most part it's family (and non-deer hunter) friendly, but there is a short video included that is pretty gory.  If you don't want to see that part, I suggest fast forwarding around :40 and going through 2:10.  Trust me, you will thank me!  I'm telling you, it gets a bit graphic, so be ready!



UGH!  I don't even know how that is the picture YouTube pics to show up there.  I've tried to keep the pictures pretty clean, but I can't do anything about that video.  I am so so sorry!

In the mean time, I got tons of other stuff done this weekend including our Christmas cards.  I'm headed to stamp and seal them right now so keep a lookout for them in the mail. 

Another great weekend on the books.  The holiday season is upon us so we've got tons going on so you know what that means!  Blog posts for you guys.  Keep on checking back....

No comments:

Post a Comment