Sunday, November 13, 2011

Adding a splash of color!

I've been planning another little art project like my hartfetti picture for quite awhile now.  And I am finally ready to show it you guys.





Can you tell what it is yet?  Do you love it?

Have you guys joined Pinterest yet?  It's a strange new website that allows you to "pin" pictures from the web to your board.  Using it lets you take all of those great ideas you find while searching the web and put them in one convenient spot so you can reference them later.  Anyways, I'm bringing up Pinterest because I just want to make it known that I didn't come up with this idea.  If you google, or Pinterest, melted crayon art, you'll find tons of these out there.  Personally, I used this one as inspiration. 

So, first, the final product, and then a tutorial.


I've got to say that I just LOVE how this thing turned out!

A quick tutorial for those of you that care:

First grab a box of crayons and a white canvas.  I got the biggest box of crayons I could find from Meijer and it cost me less than $4.  Then, the harder piece was the canvas.  Have any of you ever bought canvas?  They can be expensive!  So, I waited and waited until Michael's had them on sale 50% and I picked up this huge one for just under $20.  Its 16' x 40' and will fit perfectly above our bed. 

Probably the hardest part of this whole project was figuring out the order I wanted the crayons in.


I started by laying out all the crayons I was going to use and getting them in order.  I didn't have enough to make it from end to end so I did some measuring and figured out where to start so it would all line up straight.  Then using a hot glue gun I ran a small line of glue down the back side of each crayon and glued them down. 



Looks pretty right?  All lined up and perfect.  It's a organizers dream come true!

Then, once I had them all glued down I had Ryan dig through his trailer to find his heat gun.  It's just like a hair dryer, but super powerful. 



After about 2 seconds of heating, this started to happen.  And, I started to get excited!!


Ryan even snapped this terrible picture of me while working.  Don't mind my wet hair or my sweatpants.  It's Sunday!!  A lady can relax!!


After about 10 minutes, I had that.





And there's the finished product.  It adds just the touch of color that I was looking for above our bed.   And, for less than $25, you can't beat that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment