Sunday, March 10, 2024

Belt Testing - We've got Yellow belts now...

 


You read that right!  We've officially got two yellow belts in the McGrath household!  Hazel has been asking to do karate for a long time and it took me while (probably too long) to find a place where we could do classes.  If I'm honest, I've been feeling like we're doing too much these days, between, homework and life, and flute and Abby's doctor appointments and all the rest, it felt like adding in one more after school activity was too much.

But, when I found a local Marengo business, just 3 miles from our house, it seemed hard to say no.  Hazel started karate back in October and Abby started asking to go just a few weeks later.  So, 5 months later, the girls have been doing karate 2 or 3 times per week for the last 5 months and last weekend they both belt tested to move from white to yellow belts.  It's our first advancement and honestly, watching the testing was really inspiring!  I might have even had a little tear or two watching some of the more experienced kids test for their brown (or higher) belts.  

The kids are learning discipline, self-defense, form, Japanese and so much more!  I'm really glad we figured out a way to make it work!  It was a good choice and I've been LOVING all the things we're finding right here in our little town.  We don't have to drive 20+ away to find the things we're looking for.  I'm going to try to keep leaning into our small local businesses and spend more dollars right here in Marengo.  

No comments:

Post a Comment