Friday, April 13, 2018

A New Baby, A New Quilt


There are quite a few babies lined up for 2018 so I started early to try and get a head start.  This quilt is for my very best friend Dan's new baby daughter.  She's due in April and I was slow getting her big brother's knit blanket done a few years back so I knew I needed to do better this time around.


I have been wanting to give hand quilting a try, so when I saw this super fun panel from Cotton and Steel, I knew it was finally time to figure out how it worked and give it a try.  It's hard to see in these two pictures but at the end, there is a closeup of the quilting.  The nice part about this quilt is that it came together pretty quickly.  Since I wasn't piecing the blocks together the process started with quilting the three layers together (top, batting and back).


I used embroidery thread and a pretty big needle to just and stitch around each of the little characters on the front.  I used a sewing hoop and did this almost completely from the couch while watching TV.  I could watch all of my guilty pleasure crap TV and be productive at the same time, win win!


After finishing the quilting I made the binding and machine quilted it to the front...then hand stitched it to the back.  This is how I bind all of my quilts and I've been really happy with the results.  I added a little label to the back so she'll always know where it came from, grabbed a few pictures and packed it up to be mailed.  I can't wait to meet this sweet baby girl when she gets here!


No comments:

Post a Comment