Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Copper McGrath - A New Addition


Well, I'm sure it's not much of a surprise at this point, but I figured I should formally introduce our newest addition to the family, Copper.  It's been just about a year and a half since we put my sweet Lily down and it's honestly taken me that long to decide I was ready for a second dog.  If it was up to Ryan, we'd have had one a long time ago.  But, two dogs is a LOT of work...and two dogs with two kids is even more work...and a puppy is the MOST work.  Mostly for me.  I'm home with these ding-dongs 24/7 and while he is super sweet and he has puppy breath and a snuggly soft coat, it means that I'm here, doing potty training, and chasing this dang puppy around the house all the live long day.


Let me tell ya, to all the Mommy's out there - a puppy and small kids is tough.  I mean, they are his size...and he is a baby and all he wants to do is chew, jump and tackle them.  He wants to like their faces, eat their toys and to push them down.  Que a lot of yelling, screeching and "Mommy put him in his cage".  I'm not going to lie, it's a lot.  But, it is what we signed up for.  Part of the reason we got a puppy now was because I wanted the kids to have this experience.  I wanted them to have a dog that was truly "theirs".  Copper will be central to a lot of their memories from childhood and I couldn't think of a better reason to bring one into the family.


Copper is our first boy dog.  Growing up we always had a Golden Retriever in the family. From Chloe to Grace to Lily and Ruby...he's the first boy in a long line of girls.  A lot of it was Ryan requesting to no longer be the only boy in the house...which, you gotta give the guy that!


Copper's name is special to me.  My grandpa's dog was named Copper and if you know me, you know that nostalgia plays a big role in my life.  Abby's middle name is Pearl, after my mom's mom and Hazel's middle name is Frances from Ryan's side of the family.  So, Copper seemed a fitting name.  Now is middle name, that's a funny story!  Abby says that Copper's middle name is "fish".  As in, Copper Fish McGrath.  Somewhere along the way she heard someone say that Copper was the name of the fox from the Fox and the Hound movie.  So, clearly, his middle name should be "Fish" right?  I know, it was a leap for me too...

Abby says "Copper was the fox in the movie, and foxes eat wild fish, so his name is Copper Fish McGrath".  HAHAHAH!  I love it...and I don't want to forget it someday, so I'm writing it here so we never forget the origins of his very strange middle name.


Welcome to the family, little guy.  Get ready for a the wild roller coaster that is life with the McGrath's.  We do all the things, so get ready for lots of car rides, outdoor adventures and wood pile management.  You're kinda stuck with us at this point!

No comments:

Post a Comment