Monday, December 5, 2016

Christmas prep 2016


For quite a few years now, my parents have hosted Thanksgiving at their house.  We're so lucky that Dan/Ellyn and even Erin are willing to make the drive to Freeport so we can all be together in one place on Thanksgiving.


The day after, we've started full on holiday prep - starting with the girls making ginger bread houses. But, before I get to that project, let me brag about this pjs for a minute.  My mom used to make us pjs when we were younger.  I don't know that I remember getting them every year but I do remember going to help pick out the fabric, helping to cut out the patterns etc.  I remember one pair in particular that were for summer and had a beach scene on them.  I am pretty sure I wore them the morning Mom found the turtle nest while we were at Pawleys Island).  Anyways, this year, I asked Mom if she would be able to make Abby a nightgown and Hazel some pj pants to match.  Not only did she get a set down for my girls, but she got a set done for Kayden/Lincoln too.  So cute...right?


I think this latest adventure in sewing finally pushed Mom over the top to get herself a new machine - she got hers when they got married and she said it was 20 years old at that point!  I'm impressed it made it this far - but it's time to retire that baby and upgrade!


Come on, aren't these just the cutest pj's?  I'm jealous I didn't get a snuggly pair in my size!


Onto gingerbread houses. We've gotten smarter over the years and when I stumbled on these pre-assembled kits (including candy and frosting) for under $10 at Target, I snatched them up and knew we'd be set for Thanksgiving weekend.


Asking 4 year-olds to stop focusing on the candy and take a quick picture is just NOT going to happen.  I don't even know why I try ;)

Next year Hazel should be old enough to get in on the fun.  The cute house is now displayed on our dining room table along with the plate and milk bottle for Santa's cookies.  Slowly but surely, we're getting ready for Christmas over here!

No comments:

Post a Comment