We're sad to say it, but we just finished up our final camping trip of the year. The addition of Color Guard and Friday Football games, in addition to the competitions for color guard and suddenly our fall weekends are pretty booked up. We pulled Abby out of one parade so that we could still squeeze in the Devils Lake Tri - a family favorite trip. Mom and Dad were set to join, along with Joey and Andy, but they ended up on a trip to Croatia with Doug and Kathy (poor them! LOL) so we subbed in Jamie and Zach - which the kids were VERY excited about.
The weather did NOT cooperate for the weekend though - it was cold and rained most of the weekend. I think they got nearly 2 inches of rain in Wisconsin this weekend, and I dumped out 4 inches from our rain gauge this morning. It was cold and wet and overall, not great for camping or hiking or fires or jumping rock jumping. So, us adults came up with a plan B and picked up tickets for the Kalahari Waterpark in the Dells. We've never been to this park, always the Wilderness so I knew the kids would be ecstatic about the change in plans.
I managed to get exactly zero photos of the group at the water park. I have a few videos of Abby attempting to surf, but nothing I can post on the blog book...bummer!!
The race coordinators really threw us for a loop this year though! They moved the entire race down to the south side of the lake - a real disappointment because one of the reasons we love this race so much is because it's so easy to watch and you can see the run right from our campsite. Luckily Ryan had time to realize it had moved and get himself down there (a short 6 mile hilly bike ride...nothing like starting a race with a pre-race ride). He texted me as soon as he realized so I had time to roust everyone and get them moving earlier than expected. Joey and Andy didn't come down, they missed the text and by the time they saw it the race was well underway and I'm not even sure they would have been able to get to the parking lot with all the race stuff happening and all the roads being blocked off for the bike and run.
In the end - Ryan finished in almost exactly the same time as he has the past few years. A real testament to his physical fitness, that he can just whip out a race with relatively little preparation and do it consistently in the same time year over year. Eventually he'll age up and out of the wave he's been in the past few years and it's going to really throw my timing off. This year I guessed his bike time in exactly - to the minute. And was only 1 minute off on his run time in. I'll never run a race...but I am a pretty good race fan!



No comments:
Post a Comment