Monday, June 29, 2026

Ritterbusch Family Reunion Part 2 - Red River Gorge (Hazel's Birthday)


We've got two summer birthdays in our house, but Hazel is my little 4th of July girl.  Her due date was July 5th (if I remember right) and since the 4th of July has always been one of my favorite holidays (maybe my actually top 1 favorite holiday in fact) I had a thought that maybe she'd be born on the actual 4th.  But, since I was having a c-section and could schedule it, I was pretty sure the 4th (which was also a Saturday the year she was born) wasn't going to be an option.  So, June 29th was the first day I was 39 weeks and so that was the day we planned it.  If I couldn't have the 4th, then I didn't want to wait any longer to meet her!   All that is to say that Hazel's birthday falls very close to the holiday and that means we are often traveling for her birthday.  


I can't tell if it makes her sad to always be gone and away from her friends, or if she loves it because she ends up with multiple celebrations for her birthday.  We often do something for her with local friends, then if we're traveling, something for her actual birthday (like we did here - a cake riverside...lol!) and then sometimes she even gets a THIRD chance to celebrate if we're with a different group of people for the 4th.  Lots of cakes, lots of Happy Birthday songs and lots of presents.  Who could be sad about that?!?


We grabbed an ice-cream cake while we were in Bardstown (we knew the towns near Red River would be pretty sparce) and thankfully Mom's new camper has a huge fridge and freezer in it so she kept it in her camper for us for until Monday.


We pulled everyone out of the river (yes, we sat in the river for a LARGE chunk of this trip - see earlier post where I mentioned the 95+ degree temps during this trip) and sang Happy Birthday (no candles...my fault - someday I'll remember them!) and quickly sliced up ice cream cake for everyone.  It was the perfect treat for the hot day we had and I was thankful we made it mostly through the cake in one sitting!  We had a small bit of leftover cake that got gobbled up the next day during lunch.


We might not be home but we always make the day special.  Hazel got a handful of gifts to open, but I'm pretty sure her favorite was her Hazel Village doll from Mom.  


Man I love this kid and I can't believe she's 11 years old.  We are so lucky.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment